Monday, August 31, 2009

A Postcard

I fly through the lone star open evening
under the highest of skies
the widest of skies

My pale feathers dip quick, pulling lines thought a
heavy golden green ocean
A breath of honeysuckle sighs
into my open mouth
forcing sweetwater land
into my lungs
I can breathe
Oh Texas

Out here where the people dare not to go
the earth still shimmerin' with saccharine glow
I stretch the tips of my fingers
the tips of my tongue
and coax the sea
into my body
calling, "Please, please, please."
only, "Please, please, please."
Oh Texas

I catch on a vine and tumble 'til my shoulders rest
heavy with exhaustion
Petals in my hair, blades as my bed
chest rising and falling with the almost setting sun
Oh Texas
I scream, "Don't tempt me!"
"Oh don't tempt me!"
Oh Texas
Oh Texas

I grin to the sky as its clouds make pictures
reflected in my eyes
"Don't tempt me."

I laugh dragging my fingers
deeper in the soil
I want sugar in my veins
and nothing but the green green day
'til the horizon
Oh Texas

I want to walk these rolling waves
with the feet of Jesus
I want land in my lungs and a breeze
that has traveled for miles and miles
just to kiss my knees
and I will fall from my feet
crying, "Please, please, please."
"Won't you take me?"

I want an ancient earth to swallow me whole
rest me 'til I can breath on my own
I know, I know I can't do it on my own
I've always known
Oh Texas
Oh Texas

I don't want to be
don't make me be
another ball of fire
in your gilded sky
Oh Texas
Oh Texas
Oh Texas

No comments: