Monday, November 9, 2009

"Why didn't you stay?" "Because I had to leave."

It seems I have taken the role of a beast
bare feet on November ice; tracking blood that's not mine.
We were meant to break hearts together-
now you've settled down to chocolate mornings and pouting.

Pouting.

We were meant to break hearts together.
Now you tell me that you are all talk
and truly too soft.
But I believed you- I believed you.

And now I'm the beast with the blood of your friends
dripped from my teeth.
I didn't mean it- I swear I didn't mean it.
My blood is fire with conscious regret
'cause I never meant to hurt anyone.

And now you are angry with
a quiet rage of silver
and one heart is breaking while another one quivers
and this one is begging with his eyes calling
"Please." Quietly, "Please."
Only, "Please don't walk out that door tonight
because I love you."

But I can't stay here now,
I'm so sorry.
No I can't stay here tonight and view my carnage on lit eyes in the morning.
Don't love me.
I will walk away from you, too.

I will close the door on your desperate heart and let you paint my walls in your sorrow.
I will slip past the sleeping heartache and run from the judging eyes of what you are
and not what I thought you were.

You were supposed to be on my side.
You pushed for what you wanted
and didn't hear a word I said.
And now your eyes are piercing up at me
from my own linens and telling him,

"You are better off without her,
she doesn't know what she wants anyway."

And all I ever wanted was to love you.
I loved you and you settled for the man who makes you safe.
We were supposed to be wild together.
Now I've become the woman I thought you wanted me to be
and I find I'm here alone.

I can't have you look at me as a beast.
I can't have your eyes that way.
I will slip them from your skull and between my teeth
before they can bore that look into my mind- no
I need to get out of here.

I can't wake in the mess of all my slaughter.
I need a stronger heart, a larger hand
to let me just be weak for a while.

So I will slip away onto kitchen tiles
I will slip my hand in between his
and I will ask him just one small thing from my throat,
"Will you please take me away from here?"

No comments: