Monday, November 10, 2008

102608- Highway Blues

Spatter-brushed Autumn orange
fighting through
the steady tone of Evergreens
that line the hundred-mile highway
connecting your hands to mine.

The passing breeze sneaks
through cracks in the widow
kissing my arm
and I am sliding past Castle Rock.

Headlights and taillights
and flashing patrol lights
with sun-dried motel signs
disappearing in my rear-view
reflection.


Sun pierced through
skyline and horizon
pressed to earth
both vivid and void.
And flashing-
the stolen kiss
a glance of Apple Red
to take breath
as an offering
to the October sun.


Just 97 more exits and
I am on the road once more.
Passing gradients of fire
and the cell phone stalkers
droning down the highway.

As your voice resonates
under the vibration
of my speakers

Autumn vines
creeping fingers
on the overpass.

No comments: