Monday, June 30, 2008

soft cheeks and the bus-fare home.

I ran for you and it made me ill
for the air was sweet honeysuckles
and the flavor was nauseous in the heat
And my skin pulsed like fireflies
veins pumping like dragonfly wings

Six blocks I ran and ran for you
feet flying like the bison panic
when one alerts, "Stampede."
My saliva thick and sweet like venom
a chocolate dipped and cream filled revenge
to coat my gasping mouth; I ran for you.

I ran for you downhill through Suburbia
and the asphalt pushed back violent
my soft soul pounding the street rang shots
snapped twigs and scattered shells

I ran for you with fearful ambition
of blood-tracked knees embedded in stone
yet still I pushed my body on
sweat pouring from my skin
while my skirt climbed up with every step
panties the shade of pink-lemonade
And I ran for you.

My lips gaped like the fresh caught trout
a raw throat heaving floral air
my body the rhythm of slavery songs
with the urgency of Carroll's white rabbit
I ran for you.

1 comment:

Erin Karcher said...

and the flavor was nauseous in the heat
And my skin pulsed like fireflies
veins pumping like dragonfly wings


welcome home.