Wednesday, May 14, 2008

You got a divorce so I married you.

It's not goodbye,
it's just goodbye.
But I have watched you
like a Swallow's nest.
Like a mother never sleeping.
Like the oh-so-many other things
I should have done
instead.

It's not the tears that fall,
it's the frozen ones that stall.
But I have glazed
the broken china plates.
And I have given you to Heaven.
And I have given you to Hell.
To change your mind into
just that.

It's not uncertainty,
It's just uncertain.
But I'm the cold and bitter
morning I've let go.
Morning the loss of your darkness.
Morning your distant growing light.
And in this dusk we'll never read
your roadmaps.

It's not that you're going,
just that you're going.
But I will steam the shirts
and starch them caked in salt.
And stitch our paths together.
And know why you didn't look back.
For I was never
Mama Crocker;
Martha Stewart.
And I can say, "Goodbye."

1 comment:

Erin Karcher said...

Morning your distant growing light.
And in this dusk we'll never read
your roadmaps.